Documents for Business

In excess of 1,000 customisable documents covering every conceivable business issue.
Search all documents in Documents for Business

Overpayment relief claim

Overpayment relief claim Where you discover a mistake in your tax return which resulted in you paying or owing more tax than was properly payable, and it's too late to correct under self-assessment rules, you can make an overpayment relief claim. T... Read more

Enquiry - capital statement checklist

Enquiry - capital statement checklistDuring an enquiry HMRC may require a so-called capital statement to be prepared. Preparing an accurate statement is important to settling the enquiry. Use our checklist to help you produce your capital statement.w... Read more

Election for rent-a-room relief not to apply

Election for rent-a-room relief not to apply Where you let part of your home, HMRC calculates the taxable income for a year by deducting a fixed sum from the rent etc. you receive. This deduction is called rent-a-room relief and is £7,500 (2017/18). ... Read more

IR35 - prevention of double taxation claim

IR35 - prevention of double taxation claimAn individual can claim a deduction from their taxable income where it includes a deemed payment of salary under the IR35 rules and the same income, or part of it, is in the same or a later year, taxable as d... Read more

Non-resident CGT charge election

Non-resident CGT charge electionSince 6 April 2015, non-UK residents have been liable to capital gains tax (CGT) on disposals (sale or transfer) of UK residential property. Where this rule applies the cost of the property for CGT purposes (the "base c... Read more

Claim for relief for damaged asset

Claim for relief for damaged assetCapital gains tax may be payable on capital sums which derive from assets. For example, compensation payable to you for damage to an asset. However, if you use the amount received to repair or restore the asset, you ... Read more

Letter notifying reduction of EIS relief

Letter notifying EIS relief clawback eventIf you make a qualifying investment under the enterprise investment scheme (EIS), there are a number of things that can happen during the minimum holding period that lead to relief being reduced or fully with... Read more

Option for special method of cost apportionment

Option for special method of cost apportionmentIf you sell a piece of land which is part of a larger estate, a little known concession could save you some tax.General ruleThe general rule for any part disposal of an asset is that the amount of the or... Read more

EIS relief claim

EIS relief claimWhen you make a qualifying enterprise investment scheme (EIS) investment, you have the right to offset the income tax relief against your tax bill for the year before you made the investment. How can you make this claim?EIS relief - g... Read more

Notifying HMRC of a capital loss outside self-assessment

Notifying HMRC of a capital loss outside self-assessmentIf you sell an asset for less than it cost you will have made a capital loss.Usually a capital loss is claimed on your self-assessment tax return. If you don't complete a tax return you can notif... Read more
Download each file separately